Maybe you have always wanted a beautiful white smile. Your teeth may have yellowed over time. Perhaps, you are not happy with the staining that may result from drinking coffee, tea or cola. Whatever your reason for wanting whiter teeth, you are not alone.
Just as we all have different hair and skin colour, people also have different coloured teeth. Some teeth are more yellow than others, while others may yellow with aging.
Surface stains and internal discolouration can be caused by:
- The natural aging process
- Using tobacco, drinking coffee, tea or red wine
- Accumulation of plaque and tartar deposits
- Treatment with the antibiotic tetracycline during childhood
- Trauma to the teeth that may cause a brown, grey or black colour.
There are many reasons for whitening your teeth, including:
- The boost to your confidence and self-esteem that comes from a great smile
- A younger appearance
- A special event such as a wedding, job interview or class reunion
- To make a positive first impression on others
- To simply reverse years of everyday staining and yellowing.
Before beginning any whitening procedure, be sure to consult with your dentist. Only he or she can evaluate whether you are a suitable candidate for a particular treatment.