Is your smile not as bright as it used to be? Are you hiding your pearly whites in photos? Teeth can lose their sparkle – it happens! – but fortunately, you’ve got options. One popular, affordable, and effective teeth whitening treatment is the use of custom teeth whitening trays. Read on for all the information you need!
How Custom Whitening Trays Brighten Your Smile
If you ever played a sport that required a mouthguard, then custom teeth whitening trays will look familiar. The custom trays fit over your teeth and bathe them in whitening gel solution to help lift away stains. Custom whitening trays can be used at home, and start with a fitting by your dental professional to create your trays.
The process of getting a brighter smile through custom teeth whitening trays is a pretty straightforward one. Your dental professional makes impressions of your teeth to create moulds for your whitening trays. Once you have the trays, a bleaching solution is placed within them and you wear them for up to four hours a day for one to two weeks. You’ll notice a significant improvement in the whiteness of your teeth within that time.
Yes, there are two main reasons why custom teeth whitening trays constructed by your dental professional are better than whitening trays you buy over the counter.
- Fit and comfort. Custom trays are just that — custom. They’re made just for your teeth, so they have a comfortable, secure fit. On the other hand, generic or home-moulded over-the-counter trays tend to be big and loose, making them less comfortable.
- Gum irritation. This can also make over-the-counter trays less effective and potentially irritating. When a tray doesn’t fit properly over your teeth, whitening gel leaks out and can irritate the soft, delicate gum tissue.
Even if your teeth are whitened with a custom tray, it’s possible that you could have some tooth sensitivity afterwards. That’s because of the peroxide content in the whitening gel. The sensitivity usually resolves within a few days, but you might want to avoid very hot or very cold foods and drinks during that time. If the sensitivity continues, visit your dental professional.
Your bright smile is back – let’s keep it that way! Here are a few tips to help make your tooth whitening results last as long as possible:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a whitening toothpaste.
- Use interdental brushes, floss, or a water flosser to clean between your teeth daily.
- Avoid foods and drinks that might stain your teeth during the whitening procedure and straight afterwards (coffee, tea, red wine, carrots, blueberries, etc.).
- Schedule regular dental hygiene appointments.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco.
Custom teeth whitening trays are a proven and powerful method to get the results you (and your photos!) are looking for.
This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about general oral health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.